Friday, April 14, 2017

Getting Highlights At J&J Hair Identity Salon

For someone who's never had her hair dyed at all in 22 years of her life, I was thrilled to be invited down to J&J Hair Identity Salon for a hair treatment / makeover of my choice. Granted that I did have a choice of going all unicorn-mermaid with pastels and whatnots, I still decided to play it safe by just trying a different hair colour out with simple blonde highlights. Since I already had natural chestnut brown hair, the 'base colour' was kinda settled and all I had to do was... hope that the stylists at J&J's delivered great results.

And they did! Here's my hair after highlights:



I will put this out there: I was really quite expecting an ashier tone to the blonde strips instead of the more yellow-hued shade, and I do need some time getting used to having a new colour in my mane (it's my first hair dye experience after all), but the colour does grow onto you over time. I also just realised that I wasn't given the choice of choosing which shade of blonde I wanted to go — the hairstylist jumped straight in. It was overall a really pleasant experience though. J&J, if you're reading this, I'm more than happy to head back to your salon for a different shade of highlight anytime soon ~

My session only took two hours, which was nothing compared to the girls who had to sit in the salon for nine hours straight. But that said, service was still great — I was informed of whatever was being done to my hair, from the first to the last step, something that I really appreciated for a first-timer.


The dyes being used at J&J's are from Natulique, an organic hair dye brand that's ammonia-free and environmentally friendly. And it's true, come to think of it, I never smelt anything remotely chemical / foul-smelling during my session, and even when I'm bleaching my hair.


via GIPHY
What was the most pleasant part of my treatment was actually the hair wash. My hair stylist had such magic fingers — she gave me one of the best scalp massages that I've ever gotten from any salon, and I could've fell right asleep while she gently washed my hair clean. It was a beautifully pleasant experience and I'd highly recommend J&J's, should you want a pamper sesh for your scalp.

L - in the process of bleaching / R - after washing hair


I then got a quick trim to even out my hair ends, and got my tresses curled before leaving the salon. Everything was done efficiently, and the stylists who attended to me knew exactly what they were doing. I found that really important because I've had hair stylists who seem... lost when they were explaining thing to me / proceeding on the next step which y'know, can never be a good thing because they may potentially screw up your hair!!! But nothing of that sort at J&J's.



The ambience of the place was tranquil and bright. It contributed to a peaceful feeling that has the ability to lull you into a snooze should you be staying at the salon for long, and generally just puts your soul at ease while the hair stylists work their magic.

J&J Hair Identity Salon is located on level 2 of Katong Square Mall. Prices range from $25 for a wash and blow, to $328, for a cut+perm/rebond. Check out their Facebook page for more information, and their Instagram account for some of their past works on satisfied customers.

This entry is brought to you by Samplestore, in collaboration with J&J Hair Identity Salon.