Sunday, June 21, 2015

What's in my bag

This Summer I've started interning at little, a lifestyle x family magazine. Basically all I do is write, edit, sub-edit, proofread, attend (certain) media events and other miscellaneous stuff. But anyway, now that I'm working, I've started switching about with the bags that I bring out to the office. Since I'm free this weekend, I decided to finally latch on to the #what'sinmybag trend and feature my four favourite bags (and warning: I only have black bags) and the things that I carry in it.


This is my go-to bag. It's a roomy shopper bag with decorative braiding on the handles. I bought it last year from H&M, as a gift for myself. (It was retailing at S$79.90 if I remember correctly, but if you pop by the store now it should be on massive sale, if they still have it that is.) I wanted to use it for school, but decided against it because it's slightly inconvenient when I have to run for buses and I thought it looks a little too dressy for use in school. But perfect for work - given that I'm a lazy woman at heart this bag is big and wide enough for me to simply throw all my everyday essentials in, and still be able to see and find them at a glance when I open it. 

Plus it has metal studs embedded in the base of the bag and although it adds a little more weight to the bag (any bag in fact), I always favour bags with them on it. Just a personal preference; I like the sound the studs make when I place it on the floor. 


Here are the items that are in my bag. I haven't packed it (in fact I hardly do) so whatever's here has probably been in the bag for the past month...

1. Leather ezlink card holder in brown from Maketh Project
This was actually a souvenir that Fabs and I made in a DIY leather product making workshop that we wanted to feature for Chron. It's actually twice the size, and a foldable one but since we wanted to each bring home something we had the lady to halve it for us. I hate having to open my wallet just for my ezlink card whenever I travel, so this came in really handy.

2. Saffiano Gold Metal wallet in nero from Prada
This one should be no stranger here; I've featured it quite a few times. I bought the wallet in Paris and it's easily one of the best material goods investments I've made in my life. It's true once you get yourself a good wallet you never really want to look at any other - and by far this Prada has been my best friend for two years.

3. Leatherette coin purse in black
I never liked having coins in my main wallet because it makes the wallet look and feel bulky. So instead I chuck all my coins in separate pouch. This pouch is of a good size - sometimes if I feel that there's no need for my Prada I simply transfer over cash and important cards over and I'm good to go. I think I got this from Cotton On a really long time back.

4. iPhone 6 in Gold
Gave up on fancy iPhone covers and now I'm sticking to transparent hard covers. They look classy and are super affordable (mine's from Daiso). I've also developed this habit of slotting in ticket stubs of the movies which I feel are commendable; the one featured is Jurassic World. So. Good. 

5. Apple earphones 
Extremely important, not because I have to listen to music on-the-go but because I have to watch my show during the long journey to work. Currently I'm hooked onto Arrow. 

6. Notebook and mini stationary case
As a writer I feel inclined to bring along these two items wherever I go. I know, I could easily record things with my phone but I still like to write things down. Sometimes when I'm travelling I doodle and other times whenever I'm hit with a writer's block I actually write down what's the 'block'. It helps, albeit very occasionally. Notebook's from Bangkok (cheap af btw) and stationary case is actually those gift case for pens (that you find in goodie bags) but I like the metallic look so I put in a pen and pencil in it. 

7. House keys
The leather keychain is a personalised one with my name embossed on it; I made one each for my family when in Bangkok. The gold Eiffel Tower one was purchased from an illegal street vendor in Paris... So if you've received an Eiffel Tower keychain from me know that it's super cheap and an illegal good. (haha)

8. Acrylic mug with strainer in white from Muji
I fell in love with this bottle when I first saw it in Muji and Fabs actually got it for me as a Christmas gift. (Best editor-in-crime ever yes???) The strainer make it easier to have tea in the bottle and I can personalise it too. Just haven't got down to doing it yet.

9. Makeup essentials
These are my go-to makeup products that I have to bring with me when I'm out. The white tube's a concealer stick (in Light) from Muji, and the two lippies are matt lipsticks from Essence, pink one's Natural Beauty and red's All You Need Is Red. I usually only have one lippie with me, but I fished two out from the bag. Natural Beauty (like me haha) is for everyday use, and All You Need Is Red is for when I'm meeting friends, or when I have an event to attend. (P.S. I'm a huge lipstick junkie but my current favourites are from Essence!)

10. Macbook Pro with Retina Display
I don't carry this to and fro from work daily because I'm not exactly a heavy user; everything can be done on the iPhone anyway! But I need it for work so it's always sitting in the office Monday-Friday. 


The latest addition to my black bag collection! My cousin bought this for me from Bangkok so honestly I have no idea where this tote bag is from. It's of leatherette fabric and I use it when I don't have to lug my Macbook around, or when I have Muay Thai/Yoga sessions. Roomy and casual enough for me to place all my stuff plus workout essentials, which I usually store in a Zalora Basics ziplock bag. 


This Longchamp Le Pilage backpack in black is the bag that I carry to school. I bought it when in Paris too. It's lightweight and of a convenient size. I use it when I have to run errands.


Last but not least, my trusty Tocco Toscano crossbody bag. It's vintage; my mom used it during her younger days and has handed it down to me because I kept complaining that I couldn't find the perfect crossbody. And truth be told, ever since I started using this I couldn't find anything that's able to match up! It comes in a unique trapezium shape with a relatively wide base, and a little flap to latch the bag. The saffiano leather is sturdy and although the gold accents are somewhat fading it's still charismatic enough knowing that this bag is vintage. 

That is all for the #what'sinmybag entry! I've always wanted to do it but never got the time and effort so I'm glad it finally materialised today. Should you guys ever want to know more about the stuff in my bag (I've already included most of the details though) just hit me up on ask.fm! Maybe I'll work on #what'sinmywallet some other day?

Much love,
Chels x